Thursday, December 24, 2015

What's New - Java, Flex, HTML5, ReactJS

It has been quite a long time since my last post.  During all this time, I continued to work on Flex.  I developed a mobile app called Young Scholars for BlackBerry's Tablet Playbook.  I did that as a start because Playbook's launch was giving some motivations for developers.  Who developed an app for it and got published in their app world will be rewarded with a Playbook tablet.  Okay.  All the hard work cannot be justified for simply a free tablet.  But I was having a lot of fun.  My kids helped me to test the app aggressively as it is an app for kids.  I got very good reviews about it even though there are not that many playbook users overall.  However, I got busy with work and kids and didn't continue to push it out to Android and IOS.  It should just require some polishing work and repackaging.

Adobe's abandoning of Flex was quite a set back.  I since worked more on Java and primarily doing Java Development.  Recently my passion for websites and mobile apps revived.  I don't want to continue to use Flex any more.  That's why I am not going to spend time to make the Flex Young Scholars app out to Android and IOS.  I was being bad when I pushed that out to PlayBook.  I did it in a short time period about 2 months.  After that I didn't spend much time on it and ignored some users' email to ask for some tech support.  Since Flex's future is very dim and I don't want to do any maintenance work if I have to push out a Flex app.  But I am thinking to change the app into more popular languages, such as HTML5 with java script.  The app itself is very good idea.  I am not bragging but I was pretty addict to it.  It is a shame that I don't have the app on my phone and play with it more.

So here we go again.  Learning something new.  To be honest, I am really not a big fan of java script.  In a conference a while ago, I learned that java script actually had nothing to do with java.  The year when it came out, java was pretty popular.  So it was marketing strategy that the new scripting language for the web was named java script.  How misleading is that.

But never mind, if that's the only choice.  Let's see how it works.  I learned from a developer friend that ReactJS seems pretty good.  Facebook is at the back of it so it should have something good.  It could be a better choice than Angular JS.

No comments:

Post a Comment